Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

FAT ALBERT'S HALLOWEEN SPECIAL



STATS:
Fat Albert’s Halloween Special
1977
With Bill Cosby as Everybody

"Hey hey hey. Dig these cool homemade outfits."

WHA’ HAPPENED?
Fat Albert and the gang decide to scare a bunch of old people for Halloween. Why? Because they’re creepy.

Point taken.

Eventually, they scare an old lady and she’s so happy that they gave her attention that she gives them candy or something. Then the gang realizes that old people are cool.

WHAT YOU SAY?
“We don’t wanna scare Old Mudfoot. What did he ever do anyway?” “He got old, that’s what.”

ISN’T THAT SPECIAL?
This is a 22-minute-long holiday special from Filmation, the studio behind Mission Magic, My Favorite Martians, and ARK II. It hasn’t exactly stood the test of time.

Except for the character designs. They’re timeless.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:
I think my overall opinion of this lackluster Saturday morning distraction can best be summed up with Fat Albert’s final line of the evening: “Hey hey hey. This is really okay.”

The old people in this episode have names like Mudfoot Brown, Searchlight Johnson, and Clayface McGee. One of those three names is made up.

Doesn't one of Fat Albert's buddies look like Dr. Bailey from Grey's Anatomy?


OK. IS IT GAY?
To answer that question, let’s take a look at one of Fat Albert’s skinny friends. I think he gives off a vibe.


You know, I’m probably not being fair. Let’s see what he chooses for his costume.


Hmm… He also dresses like a witch and trips all over his dress. I don’t have a screen capture, because by that time in the episode, I was crazy-drunk. (Because I skipped the anti-alcohol Christmas episode. Also, because I took a shot every time Fat Albert rhymed.)

Look, I’m taking some cheap shots at a minor Fat Albert character for his weirdly revealing fashion sense, but that’s probably just a byproduct of the 70s. The character wasn’t gay. Nothing in this episode was. It’s just from a simpler time when guys showed their midriff because they could. On a gayness scale, I’ll give this a Jack Tripper.


No comments:

Post a Comment